The Brookline High School Parent Teacher Organization is committed to supporting important communications between school and home. It sponsors a variety of events each year designed to show support of the school and to keep parents informed about how to help their children make the most of the BHS experience.
PTO-sponsored home/school communications include:
- the monthly newsletter News & Views
- the BHS All School Directory
- the BHS Freshman Directory
- email communications
- monthly parent meetings
The PTO also funds a number of enrichment initiatives every year, such as:
- a barbecue for entering Freshmen
- a college essay workshop for BHS seniors
- educational grants/special projects proposed by teachers and staff
- Teachers-Mentoring-Teachers' Workshop
- National Honor Society Reception
- Conversazione (an evening of give and take with a local or national notable)
- Snacks during MCAS tests
- Classroom equipment and supplies
Opportunities for parent participation include providing financial support, participating on committees, being a class parent, helping with News & Views, attending monthly class meetings, working at a PTO-sponsored event, donating food to a teacher/staff appreciation event, running for school council, joining the After the Prom Party team, tutoring a student, speaking at a parent meeting and/or sharing your expertise with students.
To learn more, contact any board member (click here or select Executive Board from the menu on the left).
BHS ATHLETICS WEBSITE:
EMAIL: http://bhs-pto.org/email.htm. Scroll to the bottom of the page and make sure the Athletics box is checked.
FACEBOOK: Join the BHS Athletics group.
Attention all parents of BHS students who will be playing on a Freshman, JV or Varsity Sports Team this fall:
- Brookline Public Access Television (BATV channel 3 on Comcast and RCN) will be filming varsity games of many of the Fall Sports. These sports programs will be available for viewing and download at www.batv.org. BATV is looking for student volunteers to assist in these broadcasts and will pay $20 for BHS students who are willing to provide color commentary. This is a fun, low pressure opportunity for BHS students interested in some camera face time to try out their hand in the sports broadcasting world.
- Parent Team Representatives are needed for every sport to serve as liaisons between BHS Coaches and Parents – the job of the Parent Team Rep is to try to facilitate communication between coaches and parents of team members; There will be a sign up sheet at the Fall Sports Night event or you can sign up by e-mailing PTO Sports Liaison – Joel Sklar – at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Please sign up to be on the BHS PTO Sports E-mail list– we will keep you updated with important announcements and updates on the Wide World of BHS Sports.
Friends of Performing Arts
Need info or have ideas to share? Contact Karen Campbell, email@example.com.
Friends of Performing Arts (FoPA) is a volunteer parent group dedicated to supporting BHS’s rich array of performing arts activities. Our goal is to ensure that dance, drama, music and stagecraft remain a vital component of our children’s education.
The committee meets only four times a year, and activities range from ushering and selling tickets/refreshments at performances to building awareness of BHS’ arts offerings and advocating for sustained public funding for the arts in Brookline.
Please join us in keeping BHS a community that supports the vibrant spirit of creative expression through the performing arts. For more information or to volunteer to be a part of this lively group, contact Karen Campbell at 617.739.0873 or firstname.lastname@example.org. And be sure to visit the FoPA website at http://fopa.weebly.com/.